In 1994 we took ourselves and three children on an “out west” vacation and fell in love! Not with each other – that we already were – but with the west! Specifically Arizona and Southern Utah. In 2002 we returned to Utah sans children and discovered that we still love this part of our beautiful country.
During that second trip we promised ourselves we would someday come back to travel those mountain roads and winding paths – only this time on a motorcycle. Well this is that “someday”! On a beautiful morning in June of 2012, we will climbed aboard our BMW R1200RT with all the gear you can possibly carry on a motorcycle and headed west through the flat lands of the central plains, to the Colorado’s Rocky Mountains (a place I’ve dreamed of going to since I was a young teenager and enamored with the music of John Denver!), and the lovely, other- worldly terrain of Utah.
Along the way we had our adventure and took pictures galore to share with you. We included tips and reviews just in case you ever get the chance to take your own trip someday. Until then, we hope you enjoy our journey.
Here is a map of the trip we planned, each color it a day.
Here is a list of our trip posts in chronological order.
- Getting The Bike Ready
- All Part of Getting Ready
- Two More Sleeps!
- First Day, Heat and History
- Making it cross Nebraska
- From the Prairies to the Mountains
- Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park
- Arches, Canyons, and the Colorado River
- Utah Hwy 12 & 24 and Capitol Reef National Park
- Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks
- Monument Valley and the Four Corners
- Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Gunnison – Mountain Ride
- Our Last Day in the Mountains
- From Out West to Home